In the heart of Liège, on Place Saint Lambert, the Palais des Princes-Évêques is one of the city’s most emblematic buildings. Also known as the Palais épiscopal de Liège, it currently houses the Palais de Justice on one side, and the Provincial Government on the other. Each year, the reception is held in the salons du Gouverneur, bringing together guests and prestigious partners.
Every year, the Festival takes up residence at the foot of St. Paul’s Cathedral. At the center of the Chapiteau set up for the occasion, a veritable the nerve center of FIFCLis the Festival TV set A stage where hosts and actors, journalists, columnists, film critics and the crews of the films in competition meet twice a day, right in front of the public’s eyes. A world in its own right, an American-style talkshow where everyone talks about what’s going on in their lives with empathy, kindness and humor.
Encompassing a lyrical, magical and slightly enigmatic universe, L’Opéra Royal de Wallonie (the Royal Opera of Wallonia-Liège) leaves visitors dazzled by its splendour. The opera building itself is intriguing, with the modern addition of a raised framework in aluminium symbolising the lines of a musical stave, the white marble foyer, the red carpet and the Murano glass chandeliers.
With its Art Deco façade, 3 screens and a not-so-discreet nod to Winston, the Churchill cinema is one of the favourite cinemas of the people of Liège. Notably, it has maintained the “matinee” tradition, to the delight of eager film buffs. It also screens films in their original language, to the great delight of cinema-goers in general.
In 1779, the Prince-Bishop of Velbrück founded the Société libre d’Émulation , whose aim was to promote literature, science and arts. The building, also named after the Society, was destroyed by the Germans in August 1914. It was reconstructed in 1939, classified as a heritage building in 1998, and declared an endangered monument in 2000. It was restored in 2013, with its current structure comprising of wood, concrete and glass. Today, this building houses the Théâtre de Liège, combining neoclassicism with contemporary design, presenting theatre and dance from near and far.
In January 2014, the former Thermal Baths of la Sauvenière became La Cité Miroir, a cultural and public space in the heart of Liège. The diversity and richness of activities like theatre, music, conferences, debates, workshops, and permanent and temporary exhibitions make this the perfect venue for the unique expression of civic rights, remembrance and intercultural dialogue.
Classified as a part of the exceptional Heritage of Wallonia, La Salle académique de l’ULiège (The Academic Hall of the University of Liège) was founded by King William I of the Netherlands in 1817. This hall is a neoclassical auditorium with a spacious two-storeyed gallery and gilded Ionic and Corinthian columns. Since 2016, the Academic Hall has hosted public meetings with Festival guests.
This is the FIFCL’s take on a European Walk of Fame. Since 2016, Pont d’Avroy street has been honouring stars from the world of cinema, television, radio and theatre, through elegant blue stone tiles sculpted by Belgian artist, Jozia Gozdz. Every new tile is unveiled in a public ceremony attended by the celebrity being honoured, along with their entourage as well as ever more numerous and enthusiastic fans.
Located right in front of the Chapiteau, and managed by our press office, the Press Corner gives journalists a chance to take a break or to work away from the crowds and the joyful hullabaloo. The Press Corner also serves as the venue for organising more intimate interviews with our guests, by appointment.
The most Parisian of the Liège cabarets is the one and only Walloon theater to present the concept of revue which associates in a light way music, dance and sketches. Located in the center of the Cité ardente, ” le Troca ” also hosts comedians, comedians, concerts… and, this year, the Liège International Comedy Film Festival !