In 1779, the Prince-Bishop of Velbrück founded the Société libre d’Émulation , whose aim was to promote literature, science and arts. The building, also named after the Society, was destroyed by the Germans in August 1914. It was reconstructed in 1939, classified as a heritage building in 1998, and declared an endangered monument in 2000. It was restored in 2013, with its current structure comprising of wood, concrete and glass. Today, this building houses the Théâtre de Liège, combining neoclassicism with contemporary design, presenting theatre and dance from near and far.
Théâtre de Liège